From its world class institutions to the community based arts and cultural activities across the state, Massachusetts has one of the most vibrant creative communities in the nation. Despite this, many of its political leaders continue to look at the arts and cultural community as nice, but not necessary, often leaving the sector vulnerable to cuts in investment and support.
MASSCreative campaigns bring together the collective voice of the creative community to advocate for resources and support necessary to build vibrant, healthy, and equitable communities. Over the past four years, state investment in the Commonwealth’s creative community has increased by 65% and measures have been taken to increase participation in quality arts education for students.
In the midst of an ambitious operational plan, MASSCreative seeks a Deputy Director to solidify and build upon its organizational gains, as it evolves from an energetic startup to an ambitious and stable advocacy institution. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director will support the mission and goals of the organization by developing a broad-based fundraising base, strengthening the organization’s narrative and communications strategy, and providing senior leadership to strengthen organizational operations, and staff and board engagement and ownership.
- Identify, cultivate, and manage relationships at family, corporate, and community foundations to secure operating support for the organization.
- Develop and implement a major donor and a broad-based grassroots membership program to identify and secure financial support from individual givers.
- Train and engage staff on fundraising strategies and tactics.
- Work with MASSCreative’s communications consultant to further develop MASSCreative’s brand and narrative to broadcast to arts leaders, supporters, partners and the general public.
- Work with the Executive Director to deepen engagement and ownership of the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Partner with the Executive Director to build a cohesive staff that effectively and passionately advocates for the arts and cultural sector.
- In coordination with the Executive Director, provide oversight to strengthen the organization’s administrative infrastructure, including technology, legal, and finance operations.
- Experience and desire in building a nascent and growing nonprofit organization.
- A track record of creating and implementing systems to raise money from foundations and individuals
- Experience with development and management of a Board of Directors
- A teambuilder.
- Passion and a commitment for advocating for the arts and cultural community.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to work with a small and growing hard working staff.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience working in arts, advocacy, or related fields.
Location: Boston MA, with travel throughout Massachusetts
To Apply: Email letter of interest, résumé, and two references to email@example.com with your name and Deputy Director in the subject line.
People of color, women, and GLBTQ people are strongly encouraged to apply.