Elections are a great time to talk about the strengths and challenges our cities face and the vision for our community. While candidates spend lots of time talking about jobs, the economy, and education, they rarely talk about arts and culture as part of their vision. Let’s make arts and culture part of the discussion.
Create the Vote is a nonpartisan, public education and advocacy campaign to raise awareness and support for the arts among voters and candidates for public office. Create the Vote is made up of arts, cultural, and creative institutions and leaders.
Create the Vote is encouraging candidates to:
- DEVELOP A BOLD AND DYNAMIC CULTURAL POLICY for the city’s creative community
- FUND arts and cultural initiatives across the city
- LEAD BY EXAMPLE by convening community leaders and attending events
Did you know?
- ART DRIVES THE ECONOMY: Nonprofit arts and cultural organizations in Massachusetts support more than 45,000 jobs, spend $2.1 billion annually, and generate another $2.5 billion of economic activity.
- ART EDUCATES: Arts instruction increases achievement across all academic disciplines and develops the whole child. Art education can turn around failing schools and reconnect vulnerable and under-resourced students and their schools.
- ART BUILDS COMMUNITY: Culture creates a positive social environment making neighborhoods safer, more welcoming, and improving overall quality of life.
What you can do!